View Single Post
Old 05-29-2019, 05:30 AM

Default Re: 5.1 file channel order

Quote:
Originally Posted by its2loud View Post
My info isn’t incorrect. The Avid Force information is incorrect. They haven’t updated it. Somewhere along the versions numbers they changed the output order in Pro Tools from FILM to SMPTE

I did extensive testing with wave-agent and Quicktime. Both confirmed the channel order exported from Pro Tools is SMPTE order. Feel free to do the test yourself.

This was a head scratcher for me as well which is why I did the testing. Now, this was a couple of versions ago, so it’s intirely possible that Avid quietly fixed this without announcing it as a “bug”. If I recall, it was probably 2018.4 when I noticed the change. It may even have been a version of 12

Here’s the original discussion. Have a look for BScouts post.

Also, keep in mind that you would never know this to be true unless you did this testing. When importing the multichannel wav into another program it will always read the header metadata of the file and order the tracks accordingly to that specific software. Unless you are manually telling the software what the channel order of the file is. This is where you’ll have issues. If you tell the software the channel order is L C R Lfe Ls Rs, it will rearrange those channels in the order it needs it. But if you tell the software the order is FILM and in actuality the order is SMPTE, this is when you’ll have audio coming out the wrong places.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t...light=Its2loud
Well, I said that the info was incorrect not just by reading the AVID Force article, but based on my personal experience. I admit other people may have different experiences, so don´t feel offended. I´m running PT 2019.5 on Mojave.

Everytime I export a multichannel interleaved file from PT, the channel order is Film, regardless if I have created a SMPTE path. I import the exported file in Wave Agent and can confirm that. I re-map the channel order to SMPTE and export and get the channels ordered as I wish. The same in QT.

In the I/O setup, there´s also issues regarding channel order. If you create a new multichannel path and define it as SMPTE on the dropdown window, the bussing structure that PT creates is Film, which is odd. Anyway, I set PT for Film Mode and define SMPTE for physical outs either by changing the I/O individual channels or on the interface/converter. I get my exported files on Film and re-order quickly in Wave Agent.

Paulo M

MAC Studio MAX M1_64 GB RAM_1TB SSD_MAC OS Ventura

Protools Studio 2024.3