View Single Post
Old 01-04-2020, 03:41 PM

Default Re: New Mac Pro (7.1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by basehead617 View Post
Okay but for example, a UAD-2 card you just seat it and it works.

Then there is this additional power connector adapter needed, i’m just surprised. I’m wondering how many HDX users will buy a Mac Pro and then be caught off guard that the cards can’t be installed without buying the adapters.

Frankly, the lack of an additional PCIe power cable for UAD-2 cards is what makes it a particularly mediocre platform. I can run something like a 1000 instances of bx EQ V3 natively on my 2018 6-core MacBook Pro. My HDX card does around 140 instances plus the mix engine. A UAD Octo card does just 88. At the equivalent of a UAD-2 fourteen card, I think even HDX cards are underpowered in 2019. UAD is... well... pretty pathetic.

Spending the extra 20 seconds it takes to plug in the supplied jumper cable during installation is a very small price to pay for a DSP system that is almost twice as powerful as UAD... But really, both Avid and UA should be making far more use of the available PCIe auxiliary power by releasing UAD-2 twenty and HDX MKII that offer far more DSP processing per PCIe card. They are both outdated platforms, but UAD in particular takes the cake.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.