View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 06:28 AM

Default Re: Are Busses at the App or Session level?

This topic is more complex than you might think, it's really worth it to read the manual. I/O settings (of which busses are one) can be stored in the project or application level, and can also be saved and recalled as presets.

I'm finding that in PT12 it seems like by default my I/O is always restored from the session. I'm not sure if there is a preference or something. So I'm missing something here, as the manual talks about the option to click the button at the bottom of the I/O window, but the system I'm on right now, it's always grayed out, and it seems like it happens automatically.

But that's usually how I want it. Then you don't have to worry about deleting busses. If you try to delete one that is being used in your session PT will warn you. If you delete busses that are being used in other sessions, when you open those up your busses will be restored.

Where it can get hairy is moving projects from different systems. You can start to acquire extra busses, and wind up with situations where you have both "Bus 1" and "bus 1" in your session. I've had times when it's been that pattern of extra busses with a lot of this closely named busses (differing only by the capital letter), and it can get confusing a complex project, wondering why in the world the track you just assigned to your reverb using "'bus 1" is not showing up in your reverb channel, which has an input of "Bus 1"

You can also wind up with similarly named busses like "vox verb" or "Vox Verb" if you are naming your busses

So prefer to keep an eye on my bus list, and delete busses I'm not using in the session. It also makes it easier to navigate the drop down bus selector menus. Again, PT will warn you if you try to delete any path/bus that you are using in your currently opened project. (You can still do it, then you have to reset any outputs that were using the bus.)

One thing to note, on any output assignment drop down menu, you have the option to create a new track, and have the send/output automatically sent to your newly created track (you choose audio or aux on the next screen).

This can be handy. A lot of times I like to bus my drums. So you select your drum tracks, hold down options + shift, and select new aux track. Name it Drumzzz or whatever, and now all of your drums are bussed there. The interesting thing is that whenever you do this, it creates a new bus in your I/O, which sometimes I don't want. Meaning, I would rather be able to automatically route outputs to new tracks, but pick existing bus as inputs (which unless I am missing something, you can't do, you always get the new bus).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
After all, every buss means summing and the less summing you do the more open sound you will get.
JFreak, you can't really mean this? The summing in Pro Tools does not change the sound and has no effect on how open your mix sounds.

You can be liberal in your use of busses. For example, if I have a track with a bunch of groups of backing vocals, I might give group its own bus, and then bus all those to a master "Backing Vocal" aux track. This can be handy if you need to make stems of various levels of flattening.