View Single Post
Old 09-05-2018, 05:01 AM

Default Re: MB Comp / DynEq on Chug Guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Gone View Post
Only in terms of workflow, or philosophy if you want. In the end both tools are just attenuating certain frequency range. The only principal difference is the curve. With MB, it is a band-pass (flat in the middle, HP and LP at the extremities), while with dynamic EQ it is bell or shelf or whatever else it has in it, and you usually can control the Q. Just keep that in mind, and then it is easy to select the right kind of tool.

Now, as concerning specific plugins, that's another question. There are some very versatile like Waves F6 or FF Pro-MB, where you can do pretty anything, or some more simple ones like bx_dynEQ, or even totally basic ones, you choose.
Problem with the FF Pro-MB is not being able to get really narrow bands; you can only get so far so doing anything surgical is out of the question. And the limit is not the same across all bands; i.e. not a number like say 200 HZ across all but maybe 200HZ in a low band and 2KHz in a higher band. Depends where on the frequency spectrum you are. I know because i have it and have questioned FF about it. They say if you want narrower then to go to a dynamic EQ.

Luckily the HOFA IQ-EQ I have will do anything - regular EQ, dynamic EQ and multiband compression. Although the latter is a bit hairy to setup.

QAPLA!