Thread: Mixing advise?
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Mixing advise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raoul23 View Post
Thanks guys [emoji106]

My room is reasonably treated and I have IKmultimedia ARC on when mixing. Must admit I don’t use headphones to mix on because I thought and read that that is a bad move. I have some DT250’s so I think I’ll try give it a go. My speakers I mix on are HS8’s not the best I know.

I know this album was mixed on barefoot speakers in a reasonably treated room in ProTools 12 (in the box.)

I have read great reviews about barefoot speakers but they are bloody expensive. Do you think I’d benefit from getting a sub to monitor the low end or is that a stupid idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My 2cents:
- get better headphone and/or speakers
- check the quality of your interface converters and clock (if you record electric/acoustic instruments or have them recorded somewhere else double check)
- check the overall mix with and without the bass instruments. If there some bass where it's not supposed to, try clean it, it might be confusing things. You have to leave a room for bottom to work.
- do a lot o phase checking/ correction. This can make a heavy difference.
- careful not to put too much, leave drop outs or disproportional resonance peaks.
- Most important: use an instrument that naturally cover the frequency range you want or accept its limitations.
PS: I like sub monitors but it's a personal thing. it might complicate a small room's acoustic technical balance, but sometimes it can help you to get to feel the bass in your body. That's cool! if I would buy it, I would go for something with the most phase shift parameters I could and a bypass foot switch. This way you can make sure you have the region you want in phase and also check it in the speakers only.
Good luck!!