View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 06:53 PM

Default Re: Help with 002r and G5!!!

Hi there,

I am having the follwoing setup:
G5 (1.6GHz, 1.2GB Ram) / DIGI002R / PT 6.4 / MacOSX10.3.4

I do not experience those buffer errors (or at least very minimal). I used to have them a lot more, especially after the second to last PT update - but since 6.4 and Core6.52 it's all pretty nice. I can now also run way more plugins than I used to be able.

For what it's worth I would also check for all updated versions of plugins - since they can become technically obsolete with every PT update we get.

I am pretty happy at the moment wih my G5/DIGI002/PT setup. Allthough I wish there would be a more 'integrated' solution for CoreAudiio - but at least it's multi client capable (since CoreAudio is nothing else but some audio server).

BUT what REALLY DEFINITELY annoys me is the funny crackling sound I get from CoreAudio (sporadically) on my outputs - not so in PT - therefore my Semi Pro Audio gear is kinda useless in a semi pro audio environment whenever I use it NOT involving PT - that sucks!

I never used an 001 - so I can not tell whether stuff used to work more fluently with OS9/001 based systems - but as far as I remember things from back then: develoipers definitely figured out OS9 in regards to audio ... but then god gave us latency ... and OS9 had heaps of it (not talking PT at all since I never used PT on OS9).
Since OSX I think latency is a word I use only in context mentioning my old G3 Powerbook.
But: oh well, oh well, it's still pretty young that OSX - and it is riping at the moment since more and more devs jump on the Objective-C train and GCC and abbreviations I never heard of. Now even with optimisiation for G5s etc pp.

Anyhow - I guess most underlying PT/CoreAudio problems that still persist are pending the actual development process - as far as I know it's carbon ... not cocoa. So if DIGI could change that in the future I guess we all would just benefit from it ... and I am not only talking a more user friendly interface but also Audio features that OSX could provide at startup, but at recent PT state inaccessible for the app.

Same thing I think could be the case for mandatory computation etc - meaning it might call resources simply in a different way (the carbon way) then any cocoa app. You guys get the same feeling, that a REAL OSX app launches quicker and runs smoother alltogether?

Wrote more then I wanted to do ... but anyway: if you got a prob with a G5/DIGI002 please check your computer's sleep setting, install more (good) ram, unplug all other usb/fw devices and run Disk Warrior every week or so. That's all I can recommend.