View Single Post
Old 10-04-2019, 01:41 AM

Default Re: The classic 9173 CPU spikes, might be graphic ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
If it's not click....

9173 are common... yes on Pro Tools 12.... dramatically reduced in 2019.x. If they were bothering me I'd be getting off Pro Tools 12 as soon as possible onto 2019.6. If you have actually tried 2019.6 (ideally on a full clean Mojave install) and still have this problem that is a whole different discussion. TYou need to tell us exactly what you have tried for "later versions" etc.

What is a "512 Go external SSD" What exact make/model connected how?

What do you mean by "at the end of the session".

What exact version of Pro Tools... disk cache was added to Pro Tools 12.2 (standard) are you running 12.2 or later and is disk cache actually enabled (set to a size)? - I see you say you are changing it. Just set it to a few GB and leave there.

What sample rate? Give us some idea of your session. How many tracks? Plugins?

Folks have reported clear graphics related CPU issues in the past here that were solved by moving to Mojave. ... do not test/take risks by doing an in-situ macOS upgrade. Go get a spare SSD drive or partition one you have now if you have space, and do a full clean Mojave test install on that. Looks like have run down lots of slow individual tests, time for some bold tests, get 2019.6 onto Mojave and test.
Excellent thanks a lot !

So when I tried the new version it was Pro Tools 2019 HD indeed. It did not helped. But I tried on Sierra.

The 512 Go SSD External is the classic Samsung one.

I am running Pro Tools 12.6.1. I tried every "size" of disk cache available. I usually stay at "Normal".

I usually mix at 48 khz, more and more at 88.2khz, never at 96 khz (or extremely rarely).
Sessions are ranging from 40-45 tracks to 100 tracks sometimes. But more often 40-50 tracks count. Let's say I used around 60 plugins on each sessions (probably less to be honest as I now do a lot of Audiosuite to avoid CPU hassle and I do auxes processing more).

Good advice about taking a spare SSD drive and try a full clean install of Mojave. If I do a Time Capture thing of my actual setup on an external hard drive (SSD only ?), I will still be able to go back to this at any moment if anything goes wrong. But I will first be at Mojave + Pro Tools 12.6.1 since I already used my trial for the latest PT version (my subscription is over so I will have to pay to upgrade PT).

Thanks a lot !!