View Single Post
Old 12-17-2014, 11:18 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools 11 Saving Freezes for 30 seconds

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
All sessions or just the one currently in service?

All optimizations done? Especially on the hard drives and the GPU.

I had a problem after I upgraded my audio drive to a SSD - a link to my session folder was still pulling up the old session (on the drive, even after I had moved the drive and began using it as a backup drive)
ie. Double check your disk allocation
I don't know how Macs work, but...

With a Windows 7 (or later) machine, if you migrate Pro Tools sessions to a new drive, you do not want to put the drive that originally contained the sessions back into the computer until after you have re-linked the Pro Tools files.

People are stupid, so Windows is smart.

With newer, well-designed software, Windows does not store stuff to a drive letter, it stores it to a specific disk drive. This is partially because of things like USB drives, which can easily have a different drive letter each time you plug them in, and partially because a lot of IT guys hate drive letters!

I haven't needed to know precisely how Windows IDs the drives, so I'll just use some "made up" IDs...you should be able to understand it anyway.

Suppose you have been putting your sessions on the drive you know as your "E:" drive, and which Windows knows as "DISK12345".

You copy all of your sessions to a new drive. You remove your old drive, then put your new drive in the computer. You assign the new drive to drive letter "E:", and Windows assigns the new drive the ID "DISK67890".

Then you put your old drive back in the computer, and assign it drive letter "F:". Since Windows had previously assigned "DISK12345" to your old drive, there is no need for Windows to assign it a new ID.

So you open an existing session from drive letter "E:"...all of your audio files are also on drive "E:". Everything should be good to go, right?

There's just one problem...when you were working on your original session (before you moved it to a new drive), you thought you were saving all of your audio files to drive "E:"...but they were actually being saved to "DISK12345", which just happened to be using drive letter "E:" at that time.

So, when you open a session on your "new" drive, "DISK67890", the session is looking for audio files that are on "DISK12345".

Since you put "DISK12345" back into your machine, even though it is now drive letter "F:", Windows can find the files where they were originally stored, so it just opens them from your old drive and rocks on.

This will only happen if you have both the old drive and the new drive in your machine.

I hope I've explained it okay, and I hope it helps some of you...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh