View Single Post
Old 03-03-2002, 09:26 PM

Default mixing technique: sense of depth?

Just when it seems my mixing has improved in many areas (which it has, inevitably after much practice), I've yet to nail this one down. It's what I hear on most of my favorite commercial tracks, and if I could conquer this one, It'll feel as if I'm 'almost there.'

The sense of depth within the mix.

I've read tons of stuff on mixing and they all refer to the proper use of delays and reverbs in order to achieve this 'front to back' effect, yet, no matter how much I tweak, it still seems like my drums are sitting on the same linear space as everything else. I get close, but I can't seem to make it as intuitive as eq or compression and such.

When I use reverb, it's very minimal. In fact, I've steered clear of the verb in favor of using delays now.
If I want a sound to seem further in the mix, I realise it's volume fader must go down, but I'd like to find that fine line between further back and drowning it in the mix. Heavy compression, lowervolume, followed by delay (short, long, pre-delay on verb?)

How do the pros achieve this? It gives such a nice sense of space and opens up the mix!

Any sugestions will be great, thanks.

pk

p.s. I use Waves and some BF stuff.