View Single Post
Old 04-15-2013, 05:15 AM

Default Re: Definitive answer on CPTK1 upgrade to PT11HD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelpry View Post
If it gets to the point where CPTK is no use to me in PT11, i.e. if Avid don't change tack on CPTK's withdrawal, then I'll try to recoup some of the CPTK purchase cost, as the licence will be of limited use to me (i.e. only if I run PT10).

The comment that Avid considers CPTK licences to be like plugins, and does not allow such licences to be transferred, well are we sure about that? I thought plugin licences can be transferred.

Anyway, it would be good if Avid allowed the CPTK licence to be transferred, and used by someone else wanting to upgrade. After all, if they don't allow it, they'll simply be losing a sale.

If Avid don't allow transfers, then there would still be some residual value in the CPTK licence for people sticking with PT10 or earlier. And if doing a iLok transfer is scuppered, well I could always place it on a V1 iLok (should be plenty of those knocking around seeing as PT11 requires everyone to get a V2 iLok) and sell it with the iLok. Not ideal, but an optiom.

As I say though, I remain hopeful that Avid will come up with a properly equitable solution.
For the sake of being 100% accurate on this, I believe that the CPTK iLok authorisation CAN be transferred by iLok to another user's iLok account.
The issue is whether a used licence can be used to upgrade to PT11HD (which looks like it might have been answered as a no)...

Again, with no definitive clarification from AVID (and my own personal experience suggesting that even if you are told something by an AVID rep does not necessarily make it correct) this is all conjecture as far as I can see....

Be nice to have this all cleared up.....
Antelope Orion 32, Vienna Ensemble Pro 5,
UAD Quad PCIe