View Single Post
Old 06-27-2019, 09:40 AM

Default Re: To HEAT or not to HEAT?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arche3 View Post
Heat is not as subtle nor as effective as others out there if you want a subtle effect.

I did a shootout between Heat. Slate vtm. Waves tape, avid reel tape and Phoenix.

I chose slate vtm as the most subtle and accurate to tape sound. Keep in mind I own a studer a800. And a80 1/2 inch. Both in storage now. Fwiw. I even toyed with the idea of a clasp system.

Heat and Phoenix were similar. Less tape more saturation/harmonic distortion? Waves was fine. But meh.... avid reel tape was underwhelming. Subtle but didn't make it sound better. Slate was clearly the best. You can pile on vtm on every track and it just sounds good. Subtle. Makes the sound deep and wide. 3D.

Heat has the best implementation because it's just 1 button.

But I don't think Heat is a tape emulation so for what I was looking for it didn't help.

I still own heat and avid reel tape. But do not use them. Together they sound fine. But again there is much better choices to get the console and tape sound.

Slate annoys the crap out of me but the vtm vmr combo is the best sounding imo.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Thanks for sharing, it makes me consider spending the money I won't give Avid anymore on the Slate bundle