View Single Post
Old 05-13-2019, 11:15 PM

Default How do you guys get better at Protools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
I'm sure most of us have settled into a comfortable place with Protools (and other audio tools), based on what we normally use out of the tool box.

But what do you do to stretch out and learn new tools that you don't normally use, or new work flows? For me, I'm specifically thinking about some of the post production tools and work flows, and surround (which I don't have access to a surround set up), but also working with video, sync, etc...

I'd like eventually to expand my skill set so that I can get some work in a post house, film scoring, etc...

I think you answered your own question.

I find that doing something different to what you do regularly, forces you to learn and work differently.

So, if you want to build up a skill set for post work, literally practice doing it in your spare time. Grab a trailer for a film, mute the audio and rebuild it yourself from scratch.

You’re right that you tend to get comfortable with what you know, but once you have to do something entirely different, you’ll start to get to grips with new tools and workflows and learn as you go.

At the end of the day, there’s no substitute for just getting down and dirty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Sardi; 05-14-2019 at 11:21 AM.