View Single Post
Old 05-04-2004, 09:26 AM

Default Re: Room Calibration for Film and TV Post

Hi!
Just did the leap to 5.1 in my home studio last week (still need to do RTA, waiting for mic).
Opted for the Blue Sky System One 5.1.

I was using Event 20/20Bas + Event 20/20/15. Even without doing any RTA based setup yet (just a quick SPL meter calibration), the difference is night and day. I was amazed at the difference.

Also- Kudos x 10 to Blue Sky!!! When I received my System One 5.1, two of the Sats were the Sat 5's. Called late in the day to verify that I was correct that I was sent the wrong Sats, since the boxes said "Sat 5," but had stickers including as part of my specfic order. All were gone but the receptionist, but she gave me the VP's number, who returned my call within minutes. The next day, got a call to collect info, and the correct Sat 6.5's were in my hands 2 days later!
Blue Sky has been more than helpful, and their customer service has proven to be just as great as the products they offer. Extremely happy is an understatement!

Dr Sound- thx for this thread! Really should be a sticky. I was able to collect 90% of the info presented from multiple sources, but it took me several hours to get all the info from searching around, and trial and error of exactly which "search terms" to use to locate all the info, scouring a few forums in the process.

Quick question: When determining room modes, should one round measurements of the room to nearest foot, or translate inches to percentage (to provide a base-10 number right of decimal)? My room is 11' 10" x 19' 4" x 7' 10". Due to circumstances, I am forced to place/ face on long wall, shooting short, front monitors about 2' off wall, approx 3' equilateral formed from mix position for L/R Front. Ceiling is under 8' due to wood (Pergo type) floor.

I have also recently heard that a Pergo type wood floor is not a great idea, since it is not "real wood," and actually could present certainproblems due to it's properties. True? Better with something like a commercial grade carpet? "Real wood" is not an option at this time.

Lastly, for bass traps: I have been using Auralex, but after much reading, finding that the deisgn/application intention actually comes short of providing what I should need, due to room size. RealTraps look nice, but are there other options?

Thx!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.