View Single Post
Old 01-05-2018, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Absolute beginners, Beat Detective

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I'm certainly not the last word on this, but I think you are going at this wrong, or at least with the wrong tool for the job. Beat Detective is great for taking a loose performance and making it tight (like to a click track), but its not something I would use to do a tempo change. Next; do you really want/need to change tempo, or is what you should do is create a "tempo map" of what you have so that you can get a click track that rolls WITH the ebb and flow of what you have? If this sounds more like the right approach, search youtube for videos on how to "create a tempo map in pro tools" (without the quotes). It uses Identify Beat and (when done correctly) allows you to have a click track follow the audio you have (instead of trying to change the audio to match a click).
The "identify beat" tool is always being explained in YT with using a loop of one or two measures, would that work for a complete audio trak of, say, 100 measures as well?
Ok, I watched this YT clip: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0xlBU1HS3A, and Jason de Wilde is telling us we have to do this method with the entire track, not only for one or two selected measures, if we are working with a live recorded track.
Quote:
Another possible solution is to try using elastic audio and slip transients to line up with the grid (assuming you can find a tempo that is close, and the "live" tempo doesn't stray over a wide range). In a worst case, you might be best off leaving the original timing as is and play to it
Another fine idea, well from the feeling the guy did not do extreme tempo changes, he is keeping the beat quite steady, however, BD sometimes would show me extreme tempo changes, and at every of those points my drum "went wild" (This example is the one I was referring to in my initial post.)
Quote:
Last 2 cents, it MIGHT be possible to play new parts, use Beat Detective to extract the groove from the original recording and make your new tracks follow that groove, but its not something a beginner is likely to be successful at (I've been trying to get a handle on Beat Detective for years and still don't feel confident on it at all)
Meanwhile I had done 1 more experiment with importing the tune to Melodyne (editor) and see what the tempo editor says there. It was far closer to my feeling when listening to the track. And also there, I could go and try manual slipping the "blobs" (which I believe to be equivalents to the transients in PT), maybe I will try on with recording that "adapted" audio again and continue using this one.
As for the mess I created in my first PT session of this song, all of a sudden all the notes of my additional drum (BFD) were completely out of time. No way to fis that again, except for manually slipping each note to the place it should be. Must have to do with my erroneous manual tempo changes in the tempo ruler after applying the BD. Absolutely my fault.
But thankx for you advices, I will try them out.
Maybe we can invite some "crack" concerning BD in this thread? Not that I was saying your help wasn't appreciated. At least on behalf of other newbies who might face a similar issue? (I am one of those former "Sonarites" after Gibsons killing of Cakewalk.)
Quite another thing might be, I asked the guy to record anew, but add a bongo player who will beat his drum only at the first note of each measure.
I might have that new audio by next week, and meanwhile try to "repair" that drum track. He had liked it so much, it would be a pity.

Last edited by Wire57; 01-05-2018 at 11:26 AM.