View Single Post
Old 11-27-2014, 08:11 AM

Default Re: how to get only the interface?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannymeltzer View Post
What happens if I register the hardware and software in my name, and then sell the software and simply do an iLok license transfer with the PT software license?

I wonder if the added functionality [Eucon, etc] is worth the risk here…if I buy the Black/Avid version of the Quartet...it would be silly to hold onto the PT software license when I already have an HD license.

The way it's phrased seems a little vague on the FAQ:

"I own Pro Tools 10/11 already, can I buy just the Pro Tools | Duet or Pro Tools | Quartet or split the bundle up to sell the Pro Tools activation?
Pro Tools | Duet and Pro Tools | Quartet are not sold without Pro Tools software, and each model uses a single Activation Code to redeem the software and register the hardware."

It sounds to me that possibly[?], when you 'Activate' the code from the Quartet, that is not the same as registering your software license [Avid says 'redeem' the software]. Does it possibly mean that you receive an Activation code…and once you register the hardware with this code, you are then just given a software license key…that you can then go register the usual way [with iLok, etc]. This would seem to suggest that it might be possible to transfer the software license..? [and maybe Avid just doesn't want to say so outright]..? Just trying to figure this out, if it's worth it for me to pay more for the Avid branded Quartet if I already own PTHD.

Yes, that should probably work. The only downside is having to pay the $25 Ilok transfer fee. And also, that the buyer would need a copy of the installer (I'm still not sure if full installers are available on the website).