View Single Post
Old 12-29-2010, 09:00 AM

Default Re: Pro Tools M-Powered 8 AND Windows 7 users !

I've been using PT 8.0.4 for about 3 weeks now on a 64-bit Win 7 system. The only times I run into trouble are when I don't follow the proper power-up procedure. I have a ProFire 610 as my audio interface, so the way it has to work is (in this order): Power up ProFire, wait about 10 seconds, power up PC, let everything load (background apps, internet connectivity, etc), launch PT. This has worked very solidly as long as I follow those steps.

Typically I record all of my band's practices through the use of an overhead mic on a mono track. Great for referrencing and jam recording...you never know what kind of gems you can pull out of that. But here's the trick. When I hit record and start the session, I do not touch it until we're done...sometimes about 2 hours later. When I finally hit stop, I have to wait about 5+ minutes for the audio to rebuild all of its peaks and repopulate the edit window BEFORE I can start cutting out the silence and dead space. I've noticed that if I try to start cutting the wav file before it repopulates, the peaks are WAAAAAY off from that point in the session all the way to the end, causing horrible static and digital glitches (unbearable) througout the rest of the session. This is not reversible to my knowledge as I've tried to salvage the sessions in other audio editors, and nothing fixes it.

So if you're in a situation like this, BE PATIENT! Otherwise make sure you are following the proper boot/power-up procedure, make sure all drivers are up to date, and you should be in great shape. PT can be extremely picky about all of this and cause more headaches than it's worth, so be diligent. Hope this helps.