View Single Post
Old 11-26-2019, 04:32 PM

Default Re: Horrible VI performance when recording in 2019.10!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I also like my trusty old Commodore 64 because it is 8bit and cannot even access more than 64kB of memory so everything is maxed out, and the sound chip is incredible. Oh wait, that was early 80's and the "USB sticks" (called floppy disks at the time) were size of a book and held a whopping 360kB per side.

Sarcasm aside; Apple is doing us a favor here by forcing 64bit. Of course nobody needs to run Catalina from day one but eventually it will be good. Having to say goodbye to some old software is a welcome change for me, but with that said I can see myself using Mojave for quite some time.
If only it were the "64 bit" app requirement that was the issue mate. That doesn't even begin to cover it. If that's all it was, PT would have been working with it 6 months back. It's the hardened runtime and notarization issues.

At this stage I am certain many smaller plugin devs will just cut their losses and run and just never update with Catalina compatibility. Even the best known indi devs like u-he and melda are very annoyed and melda has gone as far as to ask people to switch to windows LOL!

That said, I disagree with your statement anyway.. There is no negative to Apple simply allowing 32 bit apps to run like they did in Mojave and all OSX before it. Windows 10 has amazing backward compatibility and performs great for DAW use.. If Microsoft can do it, so can Apple.