View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 09:32 AM

Default I'm thinking about moving from PT, convince me otherwise !

Hello !

I've been using Digidesign/Avid products professionally for 20+ years starting with an AudioMedia Card, to a Mix+ System to my current HDX with 32channels i.o.

I own and operate a multi-room facility of which I rent 2 other rooms out to other producers/composers. I had previously run the place as a purely commercial studio but in the past 4 years or so I've transitioned to make my income mostly through scoring, song-writing and production with the odd session here and there. Currently running PT 12.4 with a perpetual license and I'm happy with my workflow in ProTools. I usually can get away with running VI's natively and I've got a Vienna Ensemble Server running for larger orchestral templates when needed.

Here's the larger story.. In the next year or so I plan on closing this space (which I own and can rent out to a more profitable enterprise like a laundromat :) and move into another. The new space (yet to be found) is a complete unknown. All I know is that I will be continuing to work scoring and producing.

I've long ago let my support plan lapse and have been loosely following developments with PT from afar. I won't go into much detail but from what I can understand so far, I'm not exactly pleased with the direction Avid has been taking.. for instance having to buy a DigiLink license to continue to use my converters ( i hope that I'm misunderstanding this )

Though I love ProTools and will obviously need to have a copy on hand, if I'm not running a purely commercial space I'm not sure I need to stay on board. I could easily work on Logic, Cubase even Reaper these days.

Curious if others on here are having similar thoughts ? Please discuss !

-j