View Single Post
Old 07-23-2017, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Red 4Pre!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeHoward View Post
[...] AES67 has the advantage of being an open standard but it does not dictate a protocol for discovering endpoints, so interoperability can (at the very least) require some manual configuration or impose some limitations (Dante's 1ms latency limitation when speaking to an AES67 device stems from it only supporting multicast discovery in that mode).
I tried looking up some of the terminology and concepts that are new to me, and only uncovered more gaps in my knowledge. It seems one may need at least a basic understanding of networking, which I lack, for explanations of terms like "discovery" and "multicast" to look like more than a random jumble of acronyms and jargon. Everything I know about computer networking can be summed up with "the thick wire in the giant telephone jack is faster than the magic invisible connection."

Given that, is there any chance of you being able to successfully explain to me how these interoperability issues manifest, and what kind of configuration might be required to make a system work? I assume AoIP is not a plug-n-play proposition?

For example, to bring this discussion back to something vaguely resembling the original topic, if I connect an audio interface to my switch, can I assume that Pro Tools will immediately recognize the existence of those inputs and outputs? If not, how would I "tell" Pro Tools they're there?

In the case of things like the 1ms latency hard deck, would I be made aware of that via some sort of visible interface (like a pull-down menu that only goes down to 1ms), or would I find out by selecting something beyond the capability of the system and it failing to work? Or is it not a user-adjustable parameter?

It's becoming clear that, for people like me, just making sure every device in the system says "Dante" somewhere on the panel is the best approach, but I'd still like to understand the basics better. I don't want to be one of those guys who can't troubleshoot when things go sideways.