View Single Post
Old 10-28-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: Mac user want\'s to switch to PC: Got questions...

Quote:
Hi

I make a living as a sound desinger. I work every day on a Mac and want to switch to PC. I've got some questions that nead answering. Your input would be appreciated.

I want to run Pro tools TDM 5.x or 6.x on Windows XP.

1- Is it true that for the same buget, a PC based Pro Tools will be more powerfull?

Your Answer:___________________________________________ ______________________________

2- Is there any draw backs to running Pro Tools on a PC. I mean REAL draw backs. Not "I hate Windows" stuff...

Your Answer:___________________________________________ ______________________________

3- Cost not being an issue, what should I go for? Intel, AMD, Xeon, Athlon, Dual core, Hiper Threading dual HT? All of this is confusing me! I want a no compromise, stable work station and I have no time for dealing with flaky stuff. By the way I will be working with Quick Time videos at the same time, out of the same computer. So the computer will need to be able to run Pro Tools and the movie at the same time...

Your Answer:___________________________________________ ________________________________

4-Do you guys know of a video card that will permit me to output simultaniously to a big minitor (17"), and a TV monitor (the TV showing th Quick Time movie)?

Your Answer:___________________________________________ ________________________________

Thanks Guys!!
The answers

1- I find it to be about the same cost to run either a mac or a pc. They both are about the same speed.

2- As a fairly recent switcher to the PC the biggest drawback for me is just making sure everything in the PC likes each other. Also there is way more to deal with in compatability in putting a PC together. We opted for a Prebuilt to spec HP XV8200 and it is running really well. I run picture, 64+ tracks of audio most days without it freaking out. The G5 we have down the hall will do the same but will not talk to Unity or our V10 video option.

3- For me not being fluent PC processor we went with a preconfigured system from HP that Digi says is compatable and put XP Pro and extra ram and a different video card. Works really well. Only a few driver hassles.

4- The Video card we switched to is a NVidia Quadro 1400. It has dual monitor support and an SVideo output you could use that to do what you are asking. But really I would look at something like a MOJO. It will do what you are asking I believe. Check the compato docs. We use one on our G5 and it works well and plays quicktime out of it. We have to have a Video DA to run to a monitor, a TV, and a Projector simultainiously.

Hope this helps

Mike