View Single Post
Old 05-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools Locks up after a short time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinewr View Post
I get a beachball when the cursor is over the PT window.

If I Force Quit, the app stops, but if I try to launch it again, the icon will bounce in the dock for a while, but the app never starts. Then, I can try to force quit, but that doesn't work; the words" Pro Tools" stay in the Force quit window and never goes away.

I can open the Activity Monitor and nothing is there that indicates Pro Tools or Avid.

I cannot restart the computer without holding the power button for 10 seconds. If I just try to restart, I get a message that says that Pro Tools kept the system from restarting.
OK Pro Tools is hung and is not fully quitting when told to. I suspect there are processes associated with Pro Tools still in the systems, may be a bit hard to find them in Activity Monitor.

The first suspect here is a bad audio driver.

What audio Interface are you using?

If it is not already Built-in Output you should try that (don't assume check what the playback engine is set to, and you need to test with Built-In Output itself not an aggregate with it).

Reboot your computer. Hold down the N key while starting Pro Tools until you see the play back engine dialog panel. Select "Built-In Output". See if the problem occurs with that.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 05-17-2019 at 01:44 PM.