View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 01:17 PM

Default Re: Mac 8core 2.8 gHz Harpertown 16-32 gig RAM vs. New 2.66 gHz Nehalem with 8-16 gig

Re: Mac 8core 2.8 gHz Harpertown 16-32 gig RAM vs. New 2.66 gHz Nehalem with 8-16 gig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey, I'm no big tech or anything, but in my amateur geek opinion, you are still better off with 8 processors to allocate to your plugins. even if it's against 4 better processors. The Nehalehem cores are not twice as good as the harpetown, so technically, you get more with the old 8 core. Remember though that until PT is 64bit compatible, 8, 16, or 32 gigs of ram won't make a difference...
------------------

Hello Elmostaphane:

with respect, no insult intended....about PT not seeing all that extra RAM until it is 64 bit...HUH?

Maybe I gotta' do some reading...too bad Digidesign's website makes as much user-friendly sense as a Yamaha MOTIF.

Anyway, My friends at Colorado Sound Studios are certainly using 32 gig on their new 8-core mac- but of course they are running HD, not LE....

Hey, if you can clarify your last remark, please do... how much RAM will PT 8 (LE) currently utilize?

Thanks!