View Single Post
Old 02-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Record Offset for 3rd Party Hardware? WTF!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfere1 View Post
...we're ONLY looking at HDX and HD Native systems...

thanks
Dennis
I did some similar testing on my PT10HD setup. This computer has a PCIx core card, but without an interface at present (i.e., not in use), and also an RME HDSP9652 PCIx card.

This computer is a dual 2.4 GHz CPU AMD Opteron (Tyan S2892) running with 10GB memory. It has two 7200 SATA drives and a SSD. It is under Win7 64bitw/SP1. (The HD8 computer does not have SP1 installed).

The RME card has 24 ADAT in and out, plus a pair of SPDIF. There are no converters on the RME card. It has been working fine with PT10HD. I monitor through an 888/24 in standalone mode, configured to receive SPDIF. For this test, I connected a Focusrite Trakmaster Pro with the optional SPDIF digital out going into the RME card.

I created an empty session, and imported the wave file from the PT8HD session above.

I tried three different buffer settings with the RME card. At 1024, PT session said system delay was -546 samples. At 64, PT sessions setup read -414 samples. At 256 (which is what the PT8HD session was configured as), the PT10HD sesson setup read -222 samples of system delay.

The first track I recorded by sending the wave file to a bus, and then recording the bus onto a new track. This session was also at 44.1 and 24 bits. There was zero sample delay in the "edit" window.

Then I recorded additional tracks with a mic in front of the monitor speaker. I set the output of the new track to a dummy bus to prevent a feedback loop. I did this several times, with ADC on, I measured between 91 and 96 samples. There was a change of only one or two samples regardless if ADC was on or off, or if low latency monitoring was checked (no plug-ins except the click track).

All the tracks recorded with the mic in front of the monitors showed 290 samples CMP. The click track, the original wave and the bused track showed zero samples. All were green.

When running PT10HD with the RME card, the PT I/O setup window does not show the "compensate for Input (Output) delays after record pass" checkboxes.