View Single Post
Old 10-06-2002, 08:46 AM

Default Re: Peter & Roy\'s PTLe Shootout 1: ~FINAL RESULTS~

I have a question...has this ever been done before? I have never heard of this kind of exercise, and I still find it to be an amazing way to showcase the creative and artistic leanings of a group of musicians.

I'd like to contact the electronic music publicaions (Electronic Musician, Home Recording, etc.) and suggest that they do an article on this. Does anyone have an objection? Also, does anyone have an objection to having the song links published? (Theoretically, all of the links are already publicly available by virtue of their being in this forum.)

If one or more of the magazines actually bites, I'm going to load all of the MP3's to a single area on my site and make it available as one link. (Hopefully my file transfer limit won't be exceeded!)

Let me know if anyone has any reservations.

By the way - after two full listens through to everybody's stuff...I like Mr. Seven's mix the best. Can't even tell you why...it just sounds cool to me.

Murph, I love yours,too. Deserved every one of its 85 points.

I think a lot of the judging had to do with musical style and reflected the tastes and preferences of the judges. That's entirely appropriate given the nature of the way this contest took shape. It went from being a "who can do the best mix on a song" to "who can write and record the best arrangement for a melody line/vocal". I know for sure that if we were judged on technical merits and mix quality only, mine would have been lower in the pack.

For example, I knew when I posted the track that the low end of the acoustic guitar was booming and should have had a high-pass shelving EQ patched onto it. Also the vocal is sitting too high in the mix and becomes shrill at times. I'd be interested in the honest opinions of others out there about the mix in particular. I think there were other mixes that did a better job in terms of clarity and overall sound.

Also, the rather interesting controversy surrounding the application of minor chords to the major-key vocal is a neat by-product of the contest. I can definitely understand and agree with Roy's criticisms in those cases...but in more than one track I heard a couple of minor voicings in the verse that worked in very interesting and unexpected ways. I'll try to go back and identify which ones those were.
Yosemite OS