View Single Post
Old 11-08-2014, 07:59 AM

Default Advice Buying DAW

I'm buying a new DAW and humbly asking for some advice. I'll mainly be using this setup to record demos, rehearsals and some friend's bands. I can't see myself ever recording more than 8 tracks simultaneously (I think). Mixing will be more demanding, I assume, with all those tracks being played at once, loaded with plug-ins and whatever else. I'm aware of the external processors that take some of the plug load, but I think they're pretty pricey.

I got $3000 to spend. I figure that I'll get one of the new MacBook Pros. It comes with a 2.6Ghz Dual-core Intel Core i5 processor and 8GB of 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM. For the stuff I'll be using this for, is it worth the $200 to upgrade to 16GB RAM or $300 to upgrade the 2.6Ghz Dual-core Intel Core i5 to a 3Ghz Dual-core Intel Core i7? I'm guessing that what comes stock is more than enough. What type of audio processing would need such extra power?

Without any of those upgrades I'm looking at about $1500 just for the computer. Any recommendations on an interface or other equipment? Since I'll mostly be recording on my own, I don't necessarily need something w/ 8 inputs. I'd rather get something quality. I could always rent a larger I/O if needed. I assume that I have to go with PT 11 for software since all the Macs come loaded with OS X 10.10 Yosemite.
My current setup is OS X 10.6, PT 8 LE, MBox 2. I think all that will be useful in that is the discount from the LE to 11 cross-over installer.

Thanks,
-Adam