View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 01:12 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by CME View Post
We may just have to agree to disagree, but the Broadwell E5-v4 Xeons are the same generation as the Broadwell-E i7-6800/6900. The Xeon/HEDT chips are always a generation behind the Desktop chips. Desktop enthusiasts get the newest process. Intel gets to make sure it's reliable, and they can reduce manufacturing issues before moving it to the Xeons. Then they take out/turn off the enterprise features and make the HEDT chips. Also from my reading it looks like the Xeon's will skip Kaby Lake. There will be Sandy lake versions next, with the socket change, and then in 2018 they'll go with cannonlake. Which desktop users will get next year.

And I'm in no hurry to build a new rig. My current one is doing just fine. :) but I'm always interested in what's out there and what's coming up. So I will wait until the next generation socket. My plan has been to buy the mid level HEDT chip. Then wait until prices drop on the high end chip and/or the next generation comes out. While also keeping an eye on Xeons. You might not be able to overclock them, but when you have 18+ cores, I don't think that would matter as much.
Never said anything about the being or not being the same gen, They just were not available yet last time I had looked for them.

as far a being "behind", again, the Tick Tock development model I mentioned explains what is going on here. Its a new Microarchitecture with the Tock, and improving, modyfying, and shrinking the die size on the Tick (E series). They are not actually a generation behind, its more of a hybrid and moving the technology down to the next silicon die size and getting the improved technology along with the reduced heat/less power need gains.

KabyLake is the first processor leaving this development cycle and is bad for us imo. It has been a wonderful method to move us forward. They are supposed to be doing 3 development cycles now with a CPU instead of 2 which is why they are probably skipping the next gen Xeons. Its fairly common for intel to veer off its intended path as things get closer. So it will be interesting to see where they go in the next couple years.

I have been running my 3930k for 4 years this November and they were introduced in 2011. This new line is the first time I have thought "I have to upgrade". Its just not even comparable anymore with how smooth these are along with the huge power increase. Will be testing a new 10 core later today.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10