View Single Post
Old 02-02-2015, 09:58 PM
Stillwell Audio

Default Re: AAE -9173 Issues

Okay, I've run into this and (apparently) have a 100% repeatable occurrence - with a standard Pro Tools demo project. This ONLY happens with the PT11 demo "Kelly Malone - Earth and Stars". I can load the PT9 and PT10 demos with no errors, but this is 100% repeatable and shows the behavior mentioned earlier in this thread about CPU usage going high on one core/thread only.

Repro:
  • Start Pro Tools 11
  • Open the PT11 demo project "Kelly Malone - Earth and Stars".
  • Open the System Usage window.
  • Wait. Within 20 seconds or so one core (it always seems to be thread 4 for me) starts climbing, reaching about 45% in another 5-10 seconds or so. It will hover there indefinitely.
  • Move the playback cursor to marker C4
  • Begin playback. You may get a -9173 error at this point. Ignore and playback again. The core that was running high will drop down to the level of the other cores.
  • Playback to end and let it continue beyond. Shortly after everything is silent, the "naughty" core will start climbing again and this time will climb until you get a -9173 and CPU use goes red. At this point that core will continue to stay high and swing widely - with the overall CPU going red frequently. You will NOT be able to start playback after this, as you will always get a -9173 error. You must either close the session and reopen this or another session, or quit Pro Tools.

Mid-2012 Quad-Core Mac Pro 3.2 GHz 16 GB RAM.
Projects on separate (non-System) disk.
Presonus 1818VSL
32-sample buffer (I can repro with any buffer size - doesn't seem to be related - it just makes me giggle to be able to run at 32).

Hopefully this helps - especially if anyone else can repro with the same project.

Scott