View Single Post
Old 06-26-2014, 04:11 PM

Default Re: Request: Please Improve MackieControl Emulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Haydon View Post
Hi Adam,
Our position is that we do support basic Mackie Control but advocate for applications to adopt EUCON, and we have a free SDK and support channel in place to assist with implementation.
John,

Avid's web page still says, "Supports EUCON, HUI and Mackie Control protocols" (http://www.avid.com/US/products/Artist-Mix/features)

Quote:
The difficulty in deep integration is that each application implements Mackie Control a bit differently in terms of how we would map it to our surfaces. We have reached out to every audio and video content creation application to implement first class EUCON and continue to work with over 60 manufacturers to extend the reach of and improve the protocol.
I appreciate your nuanced answer and wish this had been made more clear by Avid's promotion of the Artist Mix. I wouldn't have bought one.

If you take a look at the issues I described in the initial post again:

- 0 dB in the DAW places the fader between the 0 and 6 positions, not at 0.

- It's not possible to navigate the faders to control return channels or the Master channel.

- Only Channel 1 shows any VU-Meter. I believe the level shown reflects the Master meter: If I have audio on channel 2,3,4, etc, only, the Channel 1 vu-meter displays level, but no others.

- There doesn't appear to be any MIDI Learn mode

- Browsing configured plugins, using the knobs to control plugins, and controlling channel sends from Chan and Insert modes are not implemented.

- There is no way to Solo multiple channels at once, even using the computer keyboard. If I hit shift and use the mouse to set up Solo in my sequencer, I can solo more than one channel at once.

You'll see that these aren't issues with how any applications map on their side to Mackie Control, it has to to with large swaths of Mackie Control Protocol simply being unimplemented in Avid's implementation. Avid's MackieControl implementation doesn't map 0db to the point indicated on the screening of the Artist Mix. It doesn't implement vumeters. It doesn't implement midi mapping or controlling plugins.

The MIDI mappings for Mackie Control Protocol are well known. Here is a webpage with a list: http://home.comcast.net/~robbowers11/MCMap.htm
Even 2nd-tier controller manufacturers like Icon Digital and Behringer have figured this stuff out.

At the present I'm a very disappointed Avid customer.