View Single Post
Old 03-02-2014, 04:36 PM

Default Re: Avid delisted on NASDAQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Yes, I'm aware of that. I was comparing the ratio of cash on hand to what the company is worth. Apple's cash on hand is about 1/5th of what the company is worth. Avid's is about 1/3rd. It's just the idea that Avid is in a position to buy back 1/3rd of their stock if they chose to do so.

Nothing scientific. Just a general observation.
Gotta chime in. I totally got your point. But many of us missed the class when they taught the concepts of percentages and ratios. Not a day goes by when I don't here fuzzy math used by the press to push a point of view; hoping we are all unwilling or unable to understand the concepts of percentages and ratios. I commend your patience in explaining your post.

Now on to Avid; when they went public, I was a bit pessimistic and cynical. The products they offer serve such a niche market. And investors like high volume trading.

So is there hope? I mean if every semipro recording enthusiast and every major label, TV station, radio station, movie company and mastering house committed to biannual PT upgrades for the next ten years, Avid's total market would still be a fraction of what Apple's is.

Now having said that, you would expect Avid to be aggressively attempting to expand their market. IMO, They should be attempting to expand into every college and high school in the world. (How many licenses of Finale and Sibelius are there in high schools worldwide?) Where is Avid's music education advocacy program? Educating young people with regards to all facets of music production is a necessity I believe, when considering the future potential growth of companies such as Avid.

Considering things as they are, I remain cynical as to Avid's future as a publicly traded company; but hopeful for them as a company that provides outstanding software and hardware for all facets of music and video production.

Tim