View Single Post
Old 04-20-2017, 03:29 PM

Default Re: vocal booth causing vocals to sound very boxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalz2502 View Post
dont know if im off topic but i need help understanding something. im pretty sure most engineers would know the answer to this. for the past 10 or 15 years i been teaching my self how to record vocals. almost every music gear i dreamed of having i invested over the years to get them. the only problem i ran into was not having a vocal booth to deaden the vocals. so a few months ago i went on this site called dawbox.com. its a site that offers blueprints of there designs to build a professional vocal booth. i bought the blue print and spent over a thousand dollars on material and labor to get it built. after it was built i was amazed how it turned out to look exactly the same as the creators said it would look. the only problem is once i went inside and gave it a sound test it didnt sound exactly how i expected it to sound. it isolated a bunch of noise from the outside and gave me a dead sound but it sounded muffled and boxy. im not sure if a professional vocal booth is suppose to sound like that. considering paying hundreds of dollars to get that thing built, i wasnt pleased and felt like if im gonna be sweeping away frequency out of vocals every time i record i shouldnt of wasted my money on this vocal booth. these people are very successful and i havent heard any bad reviews. the vocal booth i built is 4x4x7. i have accoutic foam in every single crack on the inside, i just dont understand. any professional engineers out there that know all the right answers to this type of situation please comment. help me understand the science a little bit more. what am i missing, and what dont i know that i thought i knew
Different dimensions but I have had similar problems. I'm assuming you're talking feet and not metres. There is no way a room that small is going to sound good. It sounds boxy because it's.... a box. You have equal room modes in two dimensions and the third dimension is close enough to 8 feet to create a mass of coincident room modes.

This could be your friend:
https://www.seelectronics.com/rf-space/

I've had far too many post-session cocktails to work out what your standing waves are but I wouldn't be surprised if you simply don't have enough space to put enough trapping in to get rid of any problems.

Sorry I can't be more positive but these booths are designed to cut out spill, not sound good.