Thread: HDX card fan
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2017, 12:36 AM

Default Re: HDX card fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Stauss View Post
I'm using the Sonnet Mac pro server that houses the expansion chassis as well as the Mac Pro (trash can style). The server chassis is well ventilated with quiet (not silent) fans. I have 1 HDX card and 1 Sonnet card with 2 SSD's.

After some testing:

The 2nd SSD is not creating heat to trigger the HDX fan. It's the 30+ track count for my current project, working at 32bit, 48k. Another 32bit project with 25 tracks, including busses and aux inputs does not heat up the card enough to trigger the HDX fan.

Avid support confirmed that the HDX card fan is an exhaust fan. I'm installing a couple extra "Silent" fans in the rack to help vent the server.

As a test I removed the face plate of the sonnet server and ran a large quiet fan blowing into the front of the server. The HDX card stayed cool.

Here's the model fan I'll use...maybe: PROCOOL AV-280T - Two Fan Cabinet cooling system - Silent 17 dBA at 64 CFM Airflow

I hate fans in the mix room too. I'm also looking into moving the whole thing into a quiet corner...I'll let you know how the new fans work out.

Thanks for help.
Roger
Yes please post back. My HDX card's default mode is for the fans to be on! In my case it's simply the presence of VE Pro instances in a session that sets off the fan.