View Single Post
Old 07-11-2006, 12:46 AM

Default Re: ProTools keeps shutting down

Quote:
I have tried opening old sessions and starting new ones. The sessions open but after I record something and then hit stop ProTools shuts down. I thought maybe a virus but I am not connected to the net. I've tried resarting and also ran disk utilities but to no avail. Any suggestions.

Mac G3/ 300mhz
ProTools tdm/mix plus
768 mb ram
HUI control via midiman 2X2 usb

Like Chris said,

a G3 running at 700+ Mhz is pretty slow with a HUI hooked up too. We used to run a HUI and a G3 a long time ago and it DID work fine, but that was when it was OS 9 was out and the only choice. Are you are PT 6.4.1 and OS X.? now? I know that HD systems are all the way up to 867 quicksilvers as the lowest grade of computer you can use with the newer software and HD gear. It may even beas low as a 733 G4 but it's close to being nonsupported.

I also work at a studio that has a mix plus plus TDM system still, with a pro control and a Mac G4, a 500 Mhz processor, & a gig of RAM/ If he has trouble, which is rare, is Disk Warrior time, like Minister states.

BTW also watch out for certain utilitiy programs and their versions, especially when you go to a higher version of PT or OS. I wound up hosing a system because the version of PT I had was not compatible with Tech tools latest and greatest version yet...well you guessed it...Hosed, hosed, hosed! I might as well have dumped it in the bathtub while i was still in there bathing.

Fixing was eash though. I reformatted the drive, and put all my plug-in folders and settings folders back on (I keep all of that saved on another drive always after reinstalling Pro Tools, and it all worked great again. I even first took it to a "We Fix Macs" store, and they ruined it and then charged me $450 for giving me back a useless system. But I;m not bitter!

Last, how's the system HD looking? Is it in good shape or is it full and fragged? Do you have a cloned drive in there too?