View Single Post
Old 08-11-2017, 08:24 AM

Default Re: Preamp for drum recording?

Quote:
Originally Posted by secutanudu View Post
Is that your band, Albee? That song is great, love the drum sounds also!
I wish! On the final CD(due to be released any day now), I did net a playing credit for bass on one track(channeling my Paul McCartney). The drummer is Jon Wysocki from Staind. Bassist is Robert Wright and he's a musical freak(plays everything!). He got bored one day and recreated Bohemian Rhapsody by himself and its ridiculously good Guitarist is Dan Tracey and he tours in the Alan Parsons Live band. If you only think of country music when you think of Nashville, you're missing a boatload

Re the drum sounds, some is due to how killer the Mothertone drums are(aka Sleishman). They are made in Australia and all the shells are floating(not a single screw or bolt touches the shells). Some is also due to Robert Wright being an amazing mixer(Bleed was mixed by Michael Wagener, but Robert mixed the rest). IIRC, most of the songs used a Ludwig Black Beauty snare. Toms were 10, 12 and 14" with a 20" kick. Mics were Audix D6 and custom subkick(bass drum), Beta56(top) and EV nd408(bottom)(snare), AT3031(hat), Miktek PM10(racks), Miktek PM11(floor) and Miktek C1's(overheads). Preamps were Midas XL48(shell mics) and Focusrite ISA428(hat, ride and overheads). Drums actually were tracked in a fairly small room.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave

Last edited by albee1952; 08-11-2017 at 08:37 AM.