View Single Post
  #1  
Old 05-16-2018, 06:12 AM
graveleye's Avatar
graveleye graveleye is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Georgia, USA
Posts: 2,239
Default Finally fixed a long time problem

I finally fixed a bug that has been plaguing my studio rig for years. Ever since I built my present system, I have had an occasional squeal and audio dropouts. It started off as a rare event, but as I've expanded my system and added new virtual instruments and plugins to it, it's gotten progressively worse, totally interrupting recording sessions by having the audio drop out completely and having to reboot a couple of times to get it going again.

Finally a couple of weeks ago, I had enough. It's a powerhouse of a recording system and it shouldn't be behaving this way. I had the system usage window open in Pro Tools, and watched the bars DROP when the event happened. So I realized something was taking power away from the program, not the other way around. I opened up task manager, and found that one program was using an abnormal amount of processing power. It was Windows Defender.

So, even though the rig is hooked up to the internet, I don't surf from there. The only time I'm on the net is when I am buying or updating plugins or software. I took a chance and disabled Microsoft Security Essentials and it instantly fixed the problem.

To make things better, Pro Tools launches in seconds now, since Win Defender is not checking every single element of Pro Tools and all the plugins as they load.


My guess is that MSE was scanning every thing that was happening within PT from the time I launched the program right down to the recording process, and totally interfering with the system.


I'll take my chances without MSE, my rig is working better now than it did when I first built it.
__________________
GIGABYTE X58A-UD3R, INTEL CORE i7 960, NVIDIA GEFORCE 8400GS, WIN 7, MOTU 896mk3 HYBRID, PT 10.3.2


Reply With Quote