View Single Post
Old 09-03-2012, 01:52 PM

Default Re: USB 3.0 for external recording drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalebB View Post
That is great Darryl. If it were you, would you get the thunderbolt to firewire adapter for the DIGI 003R (firewire 400)? Or use the firewire 800 port for the 003R (which I'm doing already on my Mac Mini Server with a 800 to 400 cable) and then use the thunderbolt to firewire for an external firewire 800 hard drive with the correct chipset that AVID has qualified?
I would probably go Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter, but that's becuase I also have older MBP and iMac and several spare external FW 800 drives. I would just try swapping the FW disk and the 003R on either bus and see if there is any difference. OTOH I may just buy a USB 3/FW combo drive for my sons' new 15" MBP and see how it goes (more as a general drive not specifically for Pro Tools).

Things will get more interesting in future with SSD disk, and then hopefully we'll see USB or native Thunderbolt access to those drives that will seriously outperform Firewire 800. Right now with spinning disks the disk is typically the limit (especially the moment the drive needs to seek.) so I'd not be too worried by chasing interface specs.

Darryl