View Single Post
Old 07-09-2019, 04:57 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools vs Reaper

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
I have to agree with Andrei here. I have PT, Reaper and Reason. But I mainly use Reason for its rack instruments, not as a DAW, and Reaper I used mainly to host VSTs that didn't have AAX versions. Until Blue Cat Audio's Patchwork came along. Now, I barely open Reaper.

Having invested well over 12 years into PT, starting with PT 6.8, I see no advantage to going into a steep learning curve with some other DAW, even one as intuitive as Reaper. If I need Reaper for some special case, it sits nicely via Rewire with PT.

Now, for someone just starting out, Reaper is a good alternative to PT, but so are several other DAWs. However, there is a reason why PT remains the DAW of choice for most pro studios and applications.

I wouldn't call Reaper intuitive. I think you need to dig down a bit deeper inside its logic ( ) to actually recognise the benefits of using it over Pro Tools.
It took me around 4 years of occasional Reaper use, scratching the surface really, to actually sit down for a week and to learn the new DAW. I spent a couple of hours each day to discover things that were important for me in January this year - moving settings between channels and sessions, snapshot automation and automation engine in general, and to recognise the power of the biggest timesaver in all DAWs: Render Queue.

And I have invested 13 years of my life working in Pro Tools HD exclusively. I convinced dozens of studios to purchase a Pro Tools system, because... well, I thought there was a reason most professionals use Pro Tools. To me it was an amazing discovery to learn that there is a tool that makes me much faster. And I am ******n great in Pro Tools skills. After 6 months of not using Pro Tools people still call me with PT related questions and I still blow their minds how quickly I always find a solution.

After 6 months I managed to take and finish more work, so I actually could purchase... an HDX system with the additional money I earned thanks to using Reaper.

Of course my experience don't have to be the same for other people, but there's a reason why so many engineers have similar feelings after switching from Pro Tools to Reaper.
Mac Mini i7 2018,
Reaper DAW,
Presonus Faderport,
Arturia Beastep for DAW control,
Former Pro Tools HD user (from V7 until V12.6).