View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 06:23 PM

Default "In The Box" Room Tuning

Someone else may have already posted this trick somewhere, but if they haven't... I have a cool little setup that allows me to tune my system quickly. It does not take the place of Smaart, but it works great if you on a time crunch. I call it, "In The Box Room Tuning". Add in a little "Aja" and you are good to go!

The Setup:

Select a mono input channel and name it "REF MIC"

Set the channel Input Gain to 0.0

Do not assign it to anything

Click "INPUT DIRECT" at the top right of screen in Config section

Insert Waves PAZ Frequency (or some time of plug-in analyzer) on the "REF MIC" channel

Go to PATCHBAY and assign "REF MIC" to INPUTS / FOH / Com

Plug your reference mic into Com on the FOH Rack, set the gain knob to the 12:00 position and double check the phantom power switch

Select another mono input channel and name it "PINK"

Set the channel Input Gain to 0.0

Assign "PINK" to L-R (or whatever output(s) you are tuning)

Go to PATCHBAY and assign "PINK" to INPUTS / FOH / OSC

Go to OPTIONS / MISC and verify that the oscillator is set to Pink Noise

Tuning:

***Note - You will need an onboard graphic EQ assigned to the channel you are tuning***

Un-mute L-R (or whatever output(s) you are tuning)

Dial the oscillator level down to -60.0 (lowest point)

Un-mute "PINK" channel

Un-mute "REF MIC" channel

Click on OUTPUTS tab and select the channel you are tuning (VERY IMPORTANT STEP!!! THE GEQ CONTROL ON THE CONSOLE WILL NOT WORK UNLESS YOU CLICK THE OUTPUTS TAB BEFORE CLICKING THE PLUG-INS TAB)

Click the PLUG-INS tab

Select the Waves PAZ Frequency plug-in that is inserted on the "REF MIC" channel

Turn the oscillator on and turn it up slowly until you reach your desired level for your gig

Press the GEQ button (either one, they are between faders 8 and 9) on the console so that the faders are now your graphic EQ bank

The Waves PAZ Frequency plug-in should still be on the screen and you should be able to see all EQ adjustments effecting the plug-in

Tune to taste, and remember to always trust your ears!!! (google: Dr. Charles Paul Boner for info on ideal-room or preferred-listening curves)

Enjoy!

Howie Smith