View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007, 07:09 PM

Default Quantized Triggered Drums w/ Live overhead recording..

Hello All..

this is probably a subject that's been done to death.. but I sure as hell can't find a way around it.. Maby somebody can shed some light on this for me.. I've taught myself a great deal about using protools, and about recording.. but as of yet I only know enough to be dangerous..

I'm in the process of recording drums for a band.. I purchased an Alesis DM5, and a Set of DDrum Pro Triggers. I'm recording Midi along with 11 tracks of audio.. using a Digi002 Rack, and an M-Audio Octane connected via ADAT lightpipe. This is may be overkill.. but I'd rather have the source and not need it, than.. yatta yatta..

Everything is recording smoothly.. and to the drummer's credit.. he's only off within milliseconds.. but he is off enough for me to want to Quantize the midi to the grid..

When I quantize the midi, and play back the sound through Battery3.. the result is crisp, perfectly timed hits... the only problem is that the overheads captured the drums too.. so I'm getting something that sounds like a poorly set delay..

...How do I get around this?

I'm a Nube to beat detective.. and so far Quantizing overhead mic recordings has proven to be one step away from the most painful thing I've ever endured..

Any suggestions would be MOST GREATLY appreciated..

Cheers,

RKN