View Single Post
Old 05-25-2013, 07:08 AM

Default digi 003 firewire not recognized

Hi,
I wanted to share a problem that I had (and solved) with the digi 003 firewire.

I have digi 003 and pro-tools 10, running on a HP laptop 8460w with built-in firewire.

At some point the pro tools didn't recognize the digi 003, it said that it could not find the hardware.

I had lots of stuff installed on my laptop so I thought I messed something up in windows and the drivers etc.

I started a clean image on windows 7, installed pro tools and the digi 003 drivers and it worked fine.

Then I installed lots of more stuff and it again - the digi 003 was not recognized.

Again I got back to a clean windows 7, and installed everything and sometimes it worked fine and sometimes it didn't recognize the 003 at all.

it drove me crazy, I thought that something wasn't good in the cable or hardware (firewire)... replaced the firewire cable... re-installed everyhing...

To make the story short - I read somewhere that there might be something with the grounding of the electricity.

I then tried disconnecting the laptop from the power adaptor - pro tools found the 003. I reconnected the power adaptor - and pro tools could not connect to the 003.

The power charger I was using at this room (my studio) is a cheap one from ebay, not the original HP.

I then tried the original charger and all worked fine.

Conclusion - the cheap power charger probably didn't have the electricity grounding done right... and this caused the firewire not to work fine.

So if your digi 003 is not recognized - try dis-connecting from the power charger and see if this helps.

Otherwise - make sure you install the 003 drivers of-course.

Hope it helps someone