View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:36 AM

Default Re: how much more can you take, AVID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewartFang View Post
I don't have a problem with my three artist mixes and one artist control. They work like a charm.
They don't work as required here, on Lion, Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion.

Quote:
Of course I know that Apple FORCES pros to use the latest OS..they make it impossible to work off of an OS that is a couple of generations old....with a new box.
As a Pro I chose to switch some of my computers to Mountain Lion for the large amounts of other apps that require Mountain Lion for full featured operations. Lots of developers of high-end software are no longer developing for obsolete systems.

Quote:
And yes there is problem with staying on the leading edge of the curve when using Pro applications.
I agree with the part of your statement that I kept, and only adopt early on my development machines / servers. However your observation is completely irrelevant to this thread. Again I remind you - this is not leading edge and hasn't been for a while now.

Quote:
consistently causing yourself headaches and valuable time when you have a perfectly great set of tools already is the sign of insecurity and really discourages folks from working with you. No one cares that you have the latest. They only care that when they pay you, you deliver.
Of course, and again stating the obvious. However, again, not the point. I do not have a perfectly great set of tools already. Doesn't work fully in Leopard, snow Leopard, Lion or Mountain Lion. Great that it works for you - lovely. Awesome indeed. Not for me and many others. Everything else Avid does - not this. Protools updates for instance are regular and meaningful, not this.

Quote:
Having a set of tools that is reliable is HUGE. Messing with that constantly is really bush-league IMO.
Well said. No argument here, I completely agree with you that Avid's approach to managing this software and hardware is bush league. I couldn't have said it better myself. Do you mind if I quote you?

Quote:
Stay a couple gens behind and everything will be fine.
facepalm. double facepalm. Seriously? Stay a couple of gens behind and be unable to run the software that my studios, media houses, etc require to be fully competitive and working at their full creative, functional and productive potential. Sorry, but high-end pros make complex decisions on a daily basis where we have to balance lots of complex, competing, contrary and sometimes paradoxical elements in order to maintain mission critical operations at their highest levels of output. The Euphonix/Avid hardware is not the centre of our operations, being relegated to annoying paperweights in the corner of one of our media rooms. I feel sorry for those who ARE working as professionals and for any range of reasons are trying to rely on this combination of software/hardware.

Thanks for your observations, however they are not relevant to the months of discussions around these issues that have been patiently allowed to develop in this forum. 5 months ago parts of your comments would have been relevant, but no longer. I understand that a forum is quite often a place where people take a minimal amount of time to read things through quickly, to oversimplify responses, to superficially impose their circumstances on others and to apply reductionist reasoning to complex issues - so my response here is not an attack on anyone, merely an attempt to offer my personal clarification that such facile reductionist statements are not in any way addressing the issues plaguing many of us at the moment.

EDIT - PS - dear all - for our own sanity and sake, this discussion thread has NOTHING to do with Avid / Apple. NOTHING. The post immediately above mine was posted while I was writing this reply so I have only just seen it. Please rise above and let the moderators clear any attempts to initiate a flaming war that serves no benefit other than to obscure the real issues we are dealing with. My personal and humble thanks if restraint can be shown. That is all I will say on the matter. Thank you.