View Single Post
Old 06-23-2017, 11:39 PM

Default Re: Why so expensive son? (cost of audio education)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Experience in the field without knowledge is nothing as you could learn all the wrong things. On the other hand, the right knowledge and the experience will get you further than just experience alone. Sorry if the institution you went to sold you a bubble. But no one should go into this field expecting that things would be easy and just fall into your lap.
Never said a career should fall into your lap. I would rather have my degrees than not have them and yes I agree I wouldn't know how to do a post session properly in Pro Tools without training. But it's about how they sell courses to students. Like how they don't tell you their qualifications are not wanted or needed by the industry, but sell it like it will give you a huge advantage. The industry in the UK at least is deeply rooted in the tradition of taking in young runners and schooling them from the inside out. I've even seen paid intern positions were they state "we don't want applicants with degrees" and "applicants fresh out of sound school won't be considered".

The ethos of the industry is "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" this is especially true of the TV industry. Formal training is relatively new and is trying to fit itself into an industry that's 60 years old. The problem with schools is they like to think education and the industry is an established relationship. Nothing could be further from the truth.