View Single Post
Old 04-16-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Re: I need suggestions on what Mac Pro and OS works best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1redvettefor2 View Post
Hello
I have attempted using a couple different computers. I had decent luck with my Mac mini until I got into a bit more complicated recording. It's a core 2 duo 2.66ghz, 4 gigs of ram, 500gig 7200rpm HDD. I'm willing to scrap using the mini for a Mac Pro but where should I start as in what year, OS, ram, MHz of ram, HDD or SSD. I just want to get this right this time!
Your Mac Mini looks way under configured, esp. if you have no dedicated audio/session drive. You also don't say what errors you are getting with larger sessions. If you just need a band-aid for now, it could be as simple as adding more RAM (cheap) and/or an SSD (yes a Core-2 Duo is likely underpowered, but are you using much CPU?).

Mac Pro Cheese graters can be great but are getting old.

Mac Pro Trashcans are old already and not updated with Thunderbolt 3 for example and Apple has announced they are doing a completely new replacement for them (that is hopefully more like a Cheesegrater).

I'd just not invest a lot of money in any Mac Pro now.

A modern iMac or MacBook Pro may also be a good choice, as might buying a better Mac Mini.

You may also be better off biting the bullet and moving forward to Pro Tools 12.

Without knowing what type of sessions, plugins etc. you want to use nobody here can likely suggest too specifically what you need. And what is your budget? and how do you feel about spending that now on a computer likely to be well out of data in ~ 1 year?