View Single Post
Old 06-23-2016, 07:51 AM

Default Re: Insert jacks in the back of M-Audio Fast Track Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglunt2112 View Post
I'm using Pro Tools MP-9 with an M-Audio Fast Track Pro USB interface in a Windows 7 PC. I bought this particular interface because of the insert jacks in the rear, thinking I could use these inserts at mixdown to add outboard effects if I so chose. However, I have been unsuccessful in doing this. So I have three basic questions: (1) Will these insert jacks work to send and receive signal to outboard effects at either mixdown or track bouncing? (2) If so, how can I make this happen? (3) If not, is there a way that I can incorporate an outboard effect at mixdown or in doing a track bounce? Thanks.
The insert is doing exactly what an analog insert does, it is between the preamp and in this case AD converter and lets you track/record with an insert effect. There is no direct way to get a signal in Pro Tools fed though this insert.

If you want to send a Pro Tools signal though an outboard processor you need to get an interface output into the input of that box. You have likely enough IO on this box but you need to sort out the cabling to do this (e.g. Use the RCA analog out(s) to drive the outboard box) while leaving you connections for a pair of monitors/headphones so you can monitor the mix.

All this type of worry about outboard boxes is frequently a waste of time, plugins are easier to use, have less wiring and noise issues.