View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Avid LoRo Downmixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTor View Post
Have you listened to full bandwidth sound through a subwoofer? I'm sure you have if you've seen any summer action movie (the first Thor movie did it a lot from what my ears told me), but I mean have you listened to it by itself?
By itself? No. In the days of 35MM SR•D, the LFE was defined by Dolby to be 120Hz and below. Clearly you weren't doing that in Dolby Digital mixes.
Quote:
The LFE Lowpass Filter is used to band-limit the LFE channel input signal in the Dolby Digital encoder. If this filter is not enabled, wideband signal content fed to the LFE channel input of the encoder will produce significant audible artifacts at the output of the decoder. This filter should always be enabled unless it is known that the LFE channel input signal has already been properly band-limited
So, did you start doing this for DVD, BluRay, DCP?

Lastly, how do you know they used full-bandwidth content in the LFE in Thor? How do you know that it was not the case that the sounds were full-bandwidth coming out of the screen channels (which can go down to 20Hz) and merely augmented by the Sub? Maybe the full sound was sent, filtered, and had an sub harmonic generator inserted into the path and sent to the LFE. Or maybe it was simply filtered and sent. When combined, it was all cohesive. How can you be sure, especially given that screen channels go down to 20, that there is content above 120 in the SUB and not in the screen channel? Low frequencies are omnidirectional so it is very difficult for the ear to locate.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash