View Single Post
Old 02-07-2000, 03:32 PM

Default Re: Digital Performer, CueBase or the 001 Bundle?

One caveat...

I have not been able to get any inputs other than 1 and 2 to be recognized by Cubase 4.1. The ASIO input panel sees them, but you cannot select them from the channel strip (at least I haven't found a way), and I could select all inputs (ADAT or S/PDIF)from the channel strip when I used my Korg 1212 card. This effectively turns the 001 into a 2 analog input box for Cubase: no ADAT or S/PDIF inputs.

Apparently this is a problem with the TDM version, also. Another Cubase user told me that even with the 882 interface, Cubase only recognizes the first two inputs. Maybe this will be resolved in a future version of the Direct I/O driver. It seems that the Direct I/O driver was originally designed for the AMIII card, which only has two inputs, I believe. It hasn't really been updated for quite some time. We Cubase users just started using it with DAE 5.0 and working out the bugs with Steinberg's (and Digi's) assistance.

+++++++++++++++++++++

I haven't used DP or Logic, so I can't comment on their features compared to PTLE, but if you want an integrated system primarily for audio, the 001/PTLE is hard to beat. If you want to do more midi stuff than audio, then there are several other options (Cubase, Logic, DP). As has been stated repeatedly here, the lack of SMPTE ruler on PTLE isn't really an issue for music composition or recording.

For loop-based stuff, I generally will use Cubase - mainly because I can hold several "arrangements" in the song file at the same time. I'll keep the midi files for the loops or patterns stored in a different arrangement. This allows easy cut-and-paste of loops/patterns into the "Main" song.

In PTLE, you generally have to store your "extra" midi/audio stuff at the very end of the song and paste it in from there. I just prefer the separate "arrangement"
window that Cubase has for cutting and pasting.

YMMV.

------------------
LW

[This message has been edited by lwilliam (edited February 07, 2000).]

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.