View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 08:40 AM

Default Re: FCPX to Pro Tools horror - please share better workflows :)

Yeah. I had a doc this fall that came if from FCX via X2Pro and it was a grudge-match-fight-to-the-death the whole way. X2Pro seems to work ok if the FCX project is kind of simple and also kind of small. For something up beyond 80 min with a lot of fancy cutting it kind of falls apart. I tried a lot of scenarios in finally getting the successive cuts of the film open (because, of course, the "locked picture" was no such thing). What kind of worked somewhat involved AATranslator, an old 32 bit copy of ProConvert and squeaking in under the 2GB limitation of OMF in converting to that, which PT did open finally. The resulting project was a dog's breakfast of repeating files, spurious and junk clips, half of stereo pairs out of sync etc etc.. I've now instituted a new policy that basically and in the most friendly way says that projects coming from FCX edits will be done on a hourly basis only--no bids, no estimates.

Resolve was mentioned--so far I have had zero luck w/ DR v 12 in opening FCX or even problematic Avid AAFs. Resolve always throws an error saying it can't find the video timeline for the AAF.