View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Click Track / Backing Track Issues...

I do work for band creating their live back-up tracks as well, and I never had this problem. I didn't even bother assigning to A1 or A2, I just left the track outputs stereo (A1, A2) but panned them as you did: click left, everything else right.

Are you sure that the tiny bit of click you hear on the right is in fact from the left? Or is it headphone bleed from when you tracked? If you're certain it's not bleed, then bounce to disk as you normally would, and import the bounced file into a new session (keep it 16 bit, 44.1 kHz). Then, insert silence in the right side of the backup track at the beginning and whenever there's a break. Consolidate, export the file, and you're done.

Just a thought here, but are you using any stereo-imaging or "widening" plugs on your master fader, like DUY Wide or Ozone or something?

A bit off-topic, but here's a way to make more money from the band: offer to create a voice-over guide track on the left side of the tracks. You can record yourself saying things like "Intro, 2, 3, 4" or "Solo... in 1, 2, 3, 4". You could voice-over a little reminder for every chorus, verse, change, turnaround, and ending. This way everyone who's using in ears gets reminded of the song's arrangement as they're performing. This is how the big live productions are doing it more and more.

By the way, I don't know what you're using for a click sound, but I created a very nice click with the Cowbell 3 in the Click plug-in (yikes!), while using an EQIII with a LPF set to around 800Hz (phew!). It takes the bite out of the click, so you can crank it in your in-ears and not get a headache. The band I work for finds it less distracting in general, too.