View Single Post
Old 04-01-2012, 06:30 AM

Default Re: new pro tools is not as good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Malcangi View Post
Host based PT systems have always had a 32bit FP mixer, so unless you think over a decade is "new" you've got your facts a little mixed up.
I don't have my facts mixed up. I know 32 bit float is old technology. That makes my point. It is known to be problematic.

64 bit float, done right [and we have yet to see if avid will do that], can potentially outperform 48 bit fixed. But we're still waiting for that in pro tools land.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Malangi

Actually quite a few of your statements are not quite accurate. For example, the TDM mixer is not 48bit throughout, most data paths are only 24bit, which can result in a lot of truncation (or dithering if you're using the dithered mixer).
The mixer plug-in is in fact 48 bit throughout, with a 56 bit accumulator.

Nobody stated that the entire data path was 48 bit. It doesn't have to be. Moreover, the audio will have to be handed off as 24 bit fixed to the interface in any event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Malangi

I'm not going to argue the pros and cons of the 32bit FP mixer vs the fixed point TDM mixer, that's been well covered in a number of other threads on the DUC.

G
It has been shown definitively that 48 bit fixed beats 32 bit float. The TDM fixed point system, including the 48 bit fixed point mixer is superior in the hands of someone who actually understands and knows how to use it.

The only advantage of 32 bit float systems has been cheap, easy programming and the fact that its kind of "idiot proof" for novice "engineers" [who tend to have a hard time with proper gain staging].