View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 09:18 AM

Default Re: Messed things up by switching drives in MacBooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by junkgear View Post
Did you have to reinstall Pro Tools? It almost sounds like the system went into recovery and tried to restore the base image, which wiped out a lot of your information. At this point, unless you have a Time Machine backup, reinstalling is probably your only option.

When moving between Macs, it's always a good idea to get the base OS set up on the new system, connect it to the old system and use Migration Assistant to move your apps and settings to the new system. Then you can clone the drive on the new system to the SSD that you wanted to use.
You NEVER want to use Migration Assassin to move things over to a new system. Data yes but applications - never. Look at it this way - new system has Sierra on it and your old one has Mavericks and on the old one you have PT10. Using MA brings over PT10 which won't work right on Sierra; then you have to go through an extensive uninstall to get rid of PT10.

A short while back I decided to have a third boot partition and add Yosemite to the ML & Mavericks boot partitions I already had. Just for giggles I used MA to bring stuff over and let's put it this way - I had so many issues I decided to wipe out the Yosemite partition/reinstall Yosemite and install from clean everything. Now no more weird stuff going on.

QAPLA!