View Single Post
Old 12-30-2019, 11:23 PM

Default MTRX-> HDX or MTRX->Dante

I am a longtime Cubase/Nuendo user where I have a couple hundred track orchestral composing template going. I have added PT 19.12 Ultimate to my DAW.

Today, my studio runs on Focusrite Dante. PCIe card in the DAW, and Focusrite analog and digital IO to taste. Preamps go directly to AD and then onto Dante network. Foldback monitoring is via a Dante-connected Allen & Heath SQ-5, so I effectively have zero latency monitoring already. The preamp signals show up at the mixer and DAW simultaneously - a neat trick of Dante networks. Dante is the patchbay in my studio. I am digital all the way to my Genelec mains (volume control via the GLM app on a touchscreen).

I am considering an MTRX as it would consolidate all the pre's and conversion into one box vs five or six. I can fit into a single MTRX with ease, and it would simplify my rig considerably. In Monopoly terms, "sell my houses and buy a hotel".

Q. Should I plan on an HDX card?

My thought is that this would eliminate the need for the SQ-5 for foldback. I could route monitor mixes out through the DANTE on the MTRX out to my AM2 headphone boxes.

My question is if the HDX is even needed anymore? I have over 32ch of inputs today, with an Eventide H9K also on the Dante network, and I think that is a factor with Avid software?

Thank you for any insight on integrating MTRX into a studio.

I also have to figure out if my Nuendo template can use an HDX card and how stable that is. If I have to keep Dante to interface the MTRX I would need to know.